Sunday 6 September 2015

Introduction: the part that Language plays in my Life

 

Blog. Pronounced as b-l-ɒ-ɡ. Well, what is a blog? Even though I am largely familiar with the term ‘’Blog’’ I have never really understood the true meaning of a blog. I knew it was often a website with someone posting posts on it—so far my knowledge extended. The term ‘’Blog’’ which originated from the term weblogging—obtained a significant rising popularity in the ‘90s; the era of the choker necklaces and the Tamagotchi’s. As for now, in my Language and Literature class I have discovered the meaning of a blog; a regularly updated webpage which discussed specific topics, views and opinion. As for this, I will start this blog to reflect on what I have learned in my English class as well as discussing certain topics.

As for now, I’ll introduce myself. My name is Fere, I’m a native Belgian living in the UAE since five years. As English is my second language, I have always found it fascinating how, despite the different cultures and origins, individuals can easily communicate with each other through the use of the English language. Even though I can consider English my second language, it has not always been easy for me to express myself in a different language. I can still remember my mom and I struggling our way through the first chapters of the novel ‘’The Giver’’. It took me a few weeks before I realized the novel was fiction, to my relief. As one philosopher once said ‘’the only normal way to master a new language is to begin speaking badly’’. Despite the struggles I have faced, I grew an interest in learning and developing other languages such as English, French and Dutch as I enables me to express my ideas to others.

I am also quite passionate about playing the violin. I love how you can express yourself and put so much emotion into a piece of music, which is why I like it so much. I also love how after many years of practice, I can play many famous pieces from big composers such as Beethoven as well as covering pop songs. I care about giving back to the community, I believe that contributing to others can make a positive impact on others. This is especially true when doing voluntary work as you benefit others doing it. This year I aspire to manage my time well so that I can find the right balance between leisure and school work. In this way I will try my best to spend as much time possible with my friends despite the demanding but challenging Diploma Programme. In the future I would like to pursue happiness in as many ways possible, such as doing what I am passionate about.

5 comments:

  1. Fere, you have a good definition of what a blog is and I find that great because it introduces the purpose of this blog and how it can relate to language and literature. You don't really offer to your audience what language really is to you and how meaningful (or not) it is to you.
    Other than that I find your introduction quite interesting and its always good to read how fast we can adapt to a new language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your use of the English language is quite impressive, especially being your second language. I like that you included the first novel you read and how it affected your view on English as a language. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fere, I have enjoyed reading this blog as it was really insightful and meaningful at the same time, i agree with you since my second language is english and its kind of hard to learn it but once you do it easy to communicate with others. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your English is definitely impressive! I agree with your goal of trying to find a balance between school work and free time. Having a full schedule of school work only can actually be harmful, more doesn't mean better. The year has only begun, I wish both us luck in finding that balance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a well written introduction. I don't mean to trivialize your experience struggling with English, but I did laugh out loud when I read that you initially thought The Giver was non fiction. If you are interested in a CAS activity I am looking for artists to contribute to a Raha arts and culture blog. At this point there is no one who does pop covers on a violin.

    ReplyDelete