Saturday 23 April 2016

Igbo Background Assignment

Guidebook for visiting diplomats in Igboland, Nigeria


As I have now returned to my homeland, Great Britain, I am delighted to share my experience and knowledge which I have gained during my travels to Igboland. This guidebook may provide practical prior knowledge for visiting diplomats in the land of Igbo.

To my surprise and delight, I have come to the conclusion that my prior bias towards the Igbo society and their culture and beliefs was very far from what it is in reality. As I arrived on the 22nd of January this year in Igboland, the ideas and expectations that I had of the Igbo culture and society was quite negative. Frankly, I discovered very quickly that these ideas which not only I, but many other British diplomats had, were far of how it really is.

As I arrived in Igboland, one thing thing soon became very clear: the ideas which the British (media and other politicians) published about the Igbo people were far out of context, with presumably the intention to portray the Igbo people as 'helpless' and 'in need of a Westernized political and social structure'.

Unlike the cultural practices being depicted as barbaric, it is much more complex and fascinating than I previously thought. As a visiting politician, I had the preconception that the Igbo religion was far from useful, and that it would be much more benifitial for them to repent themselves towards Christianity. The Igbo people are strong believers of life after death and in the Supreme Being, which is most often referred to as the Chukwu. They believe that the Chukwu lives in the sky, looking down upon his people. His people would carry out all tasks directed by him, all obstacles such as illness or no harvest was directed by the Chukwu and thus the will of the Chukwu.
The Igbo performing a traditional welcome ritual
posterior to my arrival in Igboland
The Igbo people would offer their children in the name of the Chukwu, this is where the Western beliefs clashed with the Igbo people. I personally found it hard to believe that new-born twins were considered 'evil' and were abandoned to the Evil Forests and left to die. I believed--and still believe that this is a barbaric action from the Igbo people to please their Chukwu, and therefore the other pioneers and I decided to put an end to this by rescuing these children since the abondonment conflicted with our personal Christian beliefs. Aside from these barbaric offers, I have learned to appreciate the Igbo culture in the sense that they form a sort of imperturbability amongst the Igbo society since it introduces principles to their lives, similarly to Christianity. Thus, unlike my fellow pioneers I believe that the Igbo religion should be respected instead of being swept away.

Regarding cultural sensitivity in order to achieve a successful diplomatic relationships, there are a few things one needs to fully comprehend. For example, the Igbo land consists of an ideology called 'equalitarianism'. This refers to the ideology of equality, or near equality amongst groups and individuals. The Igbo society is divided up in groups by age. With the eldest taking on the most responsibility in the society, as they believe that respect is earned with age. The igbo people are very individualistic, where one can only receive recognition through achievements, yet no one can ever earn full authority over the obodo.
A photograph taken with the Igbo elders
Through their ideologies, the Igbo people are partly peopled by 'invisible forces', as they believe in reincarnation of the death and thus the dead still play a significant role in their culture today. Yet, all uno acting in their own best self-interest the Igbo try to acheive minimal conflict through the mutual Chukwu who is looking down upon them. This system is an obstacle towards the placement of central authority since their system is very individualistic with little to no authority. This may cause a serious threat on the imposition of Western political ideologies in Igboland, and thus I would suggest to include the 'voices' of the Chukwu and elders as much as possible when trying to impose our political and social ideologies and setting a central authority amongst Obodos.

Concluding from my diplomatic interaction with the Igbo people, I aspire for our Western ideologies and colonization of Igboland to successfully bring a better civilization and solidarity with the Igbo people. Thereby implimenting some of our political ideologies upon the society, yet paying great respect and account to the local people's beliefs and ideologies as well in order to preserve their authenticity by maintaining our cultural sensitivity as colonizers.


May 3nd, 1914
Written by pioneer colonist Sir Frederick Lugard

(Prompt 2- Guidebook)

1 comment:

  1. I liked that you had a clear introduction and conclusion in your blog post, as it made the guidebook targeted more towards its audience of foreigners and travelers. You talked a lot about cultural sensitivity, which is very important. You also use very academic language throughout your work. One thing to improve would be to re-write a few of the sentence where the sentence structure might seem a little off or awkward, which is evident when reading your post but perhaps not when writing it.

    ReplyDelete